RAL Art Center History
The RAL Art Center was organized in 1949 by three friends who were artists and art lovers. Their goal was to bring to the rural Northern Neck an arts venue providing opportunities to create, display and learn about art. They first met in an old schoolhouse in Irvington, charging 10 cents per person to “keep the lights on”. By 1990, the group had grown to the point of incorporating as the Rappahannock Art League, Inc. and establishing itself as a 501 ( c )3 non-profit organization in 2000. In 1999, the RAL Art League moved to the former Chesapeake Bank building at 19 N. Main Street in Kilmarnock. What started as a casual gathering of interested friends has grown into the RAL Art Center offering gallery space representing various media, a gift shop featuring art and craftwork, monthly exhibitions, classes for all ages and skill levels, and scholarships for local youth.